14 June, 2010

Surreal, on the phone

When Alexander Graham Bell invented the first phone, it was perceived by many as a mysterious object equipped with magical powers. Ironic, time likes to draw circles and again we end up longing for the imaginary magic, now enclosed in charming vintage objects, like these black bakelite phone lamps from Crosby Street Hotel, in New York.




...................................................................................................................................................................... The real bakelite telephone lamp was designed by lighting artist Alex Randall, as a part of the 'reclamation and renovation' series.

"The Bakelite Telephones were my first lighting piece and have been our best seller ever since. The phones are such wonderful pieces in their own right that it's wonderful to be able to return them to a useful purpose. I think people love them so much because like me, they remind them of past times. For me, I remember using my grandparents'. When they upgraded to a touch-tone phone my sister and I inherited the old phone for our playhouse. I remember all those times in there talking on the phone to the make-believe characters who were coming round for a cup of tea!"




......................................................................................................................................................................
And the real surreal: Aphrodisiac Telephone by Salvador Dali, 1938.

8 comments:

  1. The Bakelite phone light is so great!! Love it. The lobster phone is a riot! So creative!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karena, welcome at the design traveller!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So stunning...I adore the first one so much....I love creative and fun stuff:)
    Wish you a fun Monday, darling:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool - of course old Dali's project is still actual - how is it possible? I have no idea. Maybe it is the reason why he is called 'a genius'. Probably I will find a lil' place for one of the telephone's lamps. Just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the shape of retro phones, I got one recently for my birthday and I love it. It even has a mechanical bell as the ring tone! Lovely post.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these images. That first photo, I like really much. I would like to have my wall at my appartment decorated like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lady Ga Ga called, she wants here phones back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. loving it...this hotel is right behind my apt building,,like literally on my butt!!!

    following u coz i love ur blog!!

    http://donotshoeme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Welcome traveller. Share your thoughts!