10 February, 2011

Designers & Books

Architects, fashion designers, graphic designers, interior designers, product designers... and their lists of the most significant, inspiring, meaningful books, formative to artistic and personal development. Books that make your brain storm, bring new design ideas and even change your entire world-view. Designers & Books,  a brilliant online catalogue was created by Steve Kroeter. 

51 designers, 703 books, and I'm sure the database will grow continuously. The best reads of Daniel Libeskind... and Witold Rybczynski recommends "Books Every Architect Should Read"... just have a look and make your own list! Being a bookworm myself, I found an endless source to feed my reading addiction. After only a brief search I made this obligatory hunger-reading list:

'Art and Visual Perception: A Psychology of the Creative Eye' by Rudolf Arnheim
'The Design of Everyday Things' by Donald Norman
'Annie Leibovitz: Photographs 1970–1990'
'Elements of Design' by Gail Greet Hannah

Have you read any of them? What are your favourites, books that changed somethig for you?
www.designersandbooks.com



10 comments:

  1. I wish I would read more books but somehow I never have time for it:) Hugs and kisses, my dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog...AND thanks for the info about Yatzer...definitely added it to my bookmarks! Can't wait to pour over this website and now will check out the designers and books site. Your resources and blog rocks! So glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great share my dear... i didn't read the books you spoke about, it' s a pity...but nice to you to give us this list!!!! I bought recently the last Starck's book...just really inspiring to me, coz i love this guy!!!!! i also ordered the books about Eames..can't wait to receive them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cez, I'd love to read about Eames... so far I haven't "discovered" American design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I discovered this last week. This seriously is such a great website. It is so nice to know that when I need some advice on a good book to read I can there and here of course xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!
    I have not read any of those books you mentioned, they all have great and inspiring titles though!
    And I´m also a great fan of Annie Leibovitz work- feel pretty certain that books is amazing!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear did you have to show this to me? Now I have more to add on to my "to do" list :) But really, I love browsing through our extensive design library at school and feel constantly inspired by the many creative minds I come across. There is just never enough of good design and learning about the behind the scene process. Will have to check out your suggestions now too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just come back from 2 day-trip in London. Rothko is amazing! It's funny but in the plane I was reading one of the books you mention here "Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error" - about the human psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tina, Annie Leibovitz works always make me speechless... I feel both intimidated and inspired... must get this book somewhere!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome traveller. Share your thoughts!