19 September, 2011

Modernism in Africa

Can you believe that this house was designed in 2003? Both cosy and elegant family home in Accra was created by Ghanaian architect Joe Osae-Addo. Inspiration? The contextual modernism of Finland’s Alvar Aalto, Australia’s Glenn Murcutt and L.A.’s Ray Kappe. The 2,500-square-foot house was build from local materials: timber and adobe mud blocks.

“It is not about edifice but rather harnessing the elements - trees, wind, sun, and water - to create harmony, not the perfection that modernism craves so much.”



via: Dwell

14 comments:

  1. Youn can definitely see he Aalto influence (Villa Mairea). I really like the kitchen island- such an industrial feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the kitchen!!
    So different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kitchen island is from Bulthaup, the architect brought it from L.A.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Ghana? Who would know?!! That kitchen is very interesting! Personally I think I'm way too traditional when it comes to kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving the gorgeous wood here & that shower room is lush! wonderfully designed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Gorgeous home!! Love it!!! Onde of my favourites so far! =)

    xx
    Mari

    atelierinbox.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. It seems a typical fifties home.
    Congrats. I love your blog
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quote is so true! Great home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic! There are so many elements here that have me looking closely for inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want a home with that shower and those windows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen this home a while ago and even saved it on my laptop. This home is truly beautiful, isn't it? The kitchen is my favorite!

    Have a great week!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The industrial look of the kitchen is really interesting. Love the pops of blue in the living room, the sofa and the bike. :)
    Ada

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the stainless in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great inspiring elements and ideas, nice interior!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome traveller. Share your thoughts!